Tuesday 21 July 2015

3pm tea.


Possibly my favourite time of the day; the office is in its usual afternoon lull with only the sounds of typing and sighing filling the frosty air-conditioned surroundings. Bodies traipse to and from the kitchen, coming back armed with mugs of caffeine and fists full of chocolate – anything to get us through the last few tiresome hours. I hold back, just a little, so that the rush to the kitchen ceases. A few more people slink back from the kitchen and I know that it’s time.

Standing up I stretch, causing God knows what to click and crack back in to place. Mug in hand, I take a slow pace to the kitchen and enjoy the feeling of stretching my hunched up limbs. The corridors are silent and I pass through in to the kitchen which is beautifully empty. I refill the kettle as high as I can – anything to give me a longer break. Setting it down on its stand and flicking the switch, I close my eyes and enjoy the peaceful hum of the vending machine and the timid bubbling of the kettle, knowing that I have at least a few moments peace.

I keep my eyes closed, knowing that it’s a dangerous thing to do and wondering if it is at all possible to fall asleep standing up. A few deep breaths in and out, my mind fills of fantasising of the caffeine that is soon to hit my veins, soaking up every second of silence. The aggressive rumbling of the kettle, followed by a loud click, pulls me from my reverie far too soon. I stir my cup as slowly as possible and admit that it is time to head back to The Desk. I sigh. It’s a bittersweet thing. The delicious peacefulness of the kitchen mixed with the desire for caffeine. Knowing that in a moment’s time, my mind will be working on full steam once again, buzzing with thoughts and ideas, working at 100 miles per hour. 

Guess I’ll see you again tomorrow3pm tea.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pro Blogger Templates by pipdig